This skunk was purchased from a breeder. Skunks are bred for the fur trade and sometimes their urine is used in the making of expensive perfumes!
Skunks are nocturnal and spend most of the day sleeping. The Center's skunks do not have their scent glands, so there is no need to worry about being sprayed.
- Nocturnal, which means they are active at night.
- Live in semi-wooded areas normally within 2 miles of water.
- Omnivorous, they eat just about anything including mice, eggs, insects, grubs, berries and carrion.
- They live in dens which are burrows under buildings, boulders, wood or rock piles.
- They do not hibernate.
- Have two scent glands at base off tail that they use to spray with. Can spray up to 15 feet.
- Will only spray as a last resort. Will give warning signs before they spray such as stamp their front feet or hiss and growl.
Back to Top