You may smell the scent of a skunk while standing by the cage. This is because Red xoxes have scent glands which they use to mark their territories. The scent is also present in their urine.
- They live in a mixture of forest and open country, however adapt well to urban settings.
- They come in two color variations: red and black. However, a Red Fox will always have a white tail tip.
- They eat small mammals, carrion, insects and fruit.
- Can run up to 45 mph.
- Are active during the late evening, at night and early morning, however can be seen during the day, especially in the winter.
- Use dens only for breeding and raising their pups.
- Have scent glands at the base of their tails. Their smell is like that of a skunk.
- Have very keen vision, hearing and sense of smell.
- May make a loud bark when alarmed.
Back to Top